FRIED BREAD CROUTONS
(makes 1 1/2 cups)
These little croutons make a tasty garnish in soups and salads. The recipe is also a great addition toAsparagus with Anchovies and Croutons. The flavour of Aromatic Salt gives these croutons their edge but you could of course season croutons with flaky sea salt.
2 slices thick white toast bread
oil for frying (grapeseed or canola)
- Using an electric, or serrated-edged knife, remove crusts from bread and cut bread into even-sized 1-1.5cm cubes.
- Pour oil to a 5mm depth into a heavy based frypan placed over a medium heat and heat till hot. To test if hot enough for frying drop a few crumbs into oil. If they rise to the surface the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Drop bread cubes into oil and toss in hot oil for 1-2 minutes or till golden brown and crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon quickly bread cubes from pan and place onto paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- While still hot sprinkle with Aromatic Salt and toss to fully coat. Cool.
- Store in an airtight container till required.