FLOWER POT BREAD
(makes 15 -20 little flower pots)
The little flower pots I use are 5 cm high with a top diameter of 5 cm. This bread does freeze reasonably well, so freeze extra baked breads freeze out of the flower pots. Thaw at room temperature and place back in the flower pots to warm through. Before you bake bread in terracotta flower pots paint pots with oil, inside and out, and bake them in a 200°C oven for 15 - 20 minutes. This seals the terracotta. Each time you bake bread in the flower pots brush them inside and out with oil before placing the raw dough in them. I like to serve these little breads with cheese.
salad oil for brushing pots
12g (1 tbsp) of yeast granules
1+ 1/2 tbsp sugar
375ml (1 + 1/2 cups) luke warm water
630g (4 + 1/2 cups) flour
10g (2 tsp) salt
110g (1 cup) roughly chopped walnuts
125ml (1/2 cup) salad oil
- Brush 15 - 20 little flower pots, inside and out with salad oil.
- Place yeast, sugar and water into a small bowl and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 10-15 minutes in a warm place till mixture is frothy.
- Place flour and salt into bowl of an electric mixer. Make a well in the centre and pour in yeast/water mixture. Using dough hook, mix dry and wet ingredients together. Have the mixer on the lowest speed as the dough is thick and heavy going for the mixer. Alternatively you can mix by hand.
- With the electric mixer going, slowly pour in salad oil. Continue mixing for about 10 minutes or till dough is glossy. The dough should hold its shape and come away from the sides of the bowl. With mixer going add walnuts until they are incorporated into dough.
- Place dough in a large oiled bowl and oil top of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place, for approximately 1½ hours, or till dough has doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Divide dough into 15 pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place ball between thumb and forefinger. Gently squeeze and pull dough down to create a cone shape.
- Place dough with the pointed end down into the flower pots. Brush tops with oil. Place flower pots onto a baking tray. Cover completely with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to prove until bread rises to top of flower pots. This may take 30-45 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake until loaves are walnut brown and sound hollow when tapped.