FISH CEVICHE WITH KARENGO FRONDS
(25 x 25g serves, suitable for cocktail or teaser or 8 x 80g serves, suitable for an entrèe)
This is marinated fish Pacific-style. Any firm white fish can be used and the recipe also works well with fresh tuna, or scallops. Karengo fronds are available at www.pacificharvest.co.nz
250g firm white fish fillets (orange roughy is perfect)
3/4 tsp Maldon sea salt
30ml ( 2 tbsp) lime juice
30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
125ml (1/2 cup) coconut cream
50g (1/2 small) onion (peeled & finely chopped)
40g (1/4 small) red pepper (deseeded and finely diced)
100g (1/4) cucumber (peeled, deseeded and finely diced)
60g (1/2 small) tomato (peeled, seeded and chopped)
1 clove garlic (peeled & crushed)
1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (mint, coriander, Italian parsley or basil) 1/2 tsp (or to taste) chopped fresh red chillies
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5g (8 tsp) Karengo Fronds
- Cut fish into 5mm cubes. Place fish into a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with lime and lemon juice and marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 2.5 hours (do not leave fish too long - it should be ever so slightly raw in the centre).
- Drain off lime and lemon juice and gently press fish to remove excess liquid.
- Combine drained fish with remaining ingredients and season to taste. Chill till ready to serve.
- Just before you serve sprinkle each portion with Karengo Fronds. Note: Dressing ingredients can be combined and chilled while fish is marinating.