ELISE PASCOE'S SWEET SPINACH PIE
Sweet Short Pastry
30g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
450g spinach (washed, stalks removed and sliced)
200g zucchini (diced)
20g (2 tbsp) castor sugar
25g (3 tbsp) pine nuts (lightly toasted)
14g (2 tbsp) raisins
1 egg (beaten)
finely grated zest of 1 orange
10g (2 tbsp) finely grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- Remove one-quarter of the Sweet Short Pastry and refrigerate. This will become a lattice top for the pie.
- Lightly butter and flour a 25cm pie dish.
- Roll the large piece of Sweet Short Pastry to fit the 25cm pie dish. Press pastry into base and up sides of pie dish.
- To make filling: Place butter into a large, heavy frypan set over a medium heat, add spinach and cook, stirring from time to time, till soft.
- Place spinach into a bowl and cool. Add zucchini, sugar, pine nuts, raisins, egg, zest, Parmesan, spices and salt. Mix together.
- Place filling into prepared pastry case.
- Roll remaining pastry, cut into strips and make a lattice to sit on top of the pie. Alternatively leave as a sheet and make lattice using a lattice cutter. Place in refrigerator to rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Brush lattice with egg yolk/water mixture, place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or till crust is golden, filling is set and base is cooked.
- Serve warm as opposed to piping hot. Accompany with a green salad.