These old fashioned beauties are on the menu at Floriditas to accompany an aged cheddar, Linkwater, available at Moore Wilson Fresh. Enjoy the combination at home on a wintry afternoon with a glass of port.
FILLING 75g butter
150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
150g (1 cup) currants
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg grated rind
1 large orange
50g chopped mixed peel (Philippa candies her own peel)
500g flaky pastry (Philippa buys her flaky pastry from Moulin Bakery in Willis St)
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place butter in a small saucepan set over a low heat and melt. Remove from heat and add brown sugar, currants, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange rind and peel and stir to combine.
- Roll pasty to 3mm thickness. Using an 8cm cutter cut pastry into 20 -25 rounds.
- Place a teaspoon of filling onto each round.
- Brush edge of half of the circle of pastry with water and bring other side up to seal it. Pinch well to seal. Turn pastry parcel over so seam is underneath.
- Gently roll, or press, flat to approximately 5mm and pat into a round shape.
- Place on greased baking sheets and make three diagonal slashes on top of each cake. Rest in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with castor sugar. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10- 12 minutes or till golden brown. Remove from tray while cakes are still warm.