(Makes 30-40 pieces)
170g (1 cup & 4 tbsp) flour
100g (1 cup) unsweetened cocoa *
560g butter (cubed)
990g (4 ¾ cups) castor sugar
9 eggs (lightly beaten)
1½ tbsp pure vanilla essence
925g dark chocolate buttons
icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base of an old fashioned roasting tray*2, ideally with a teflon sheet*1, or baking paper. Spray the sides of tray with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cocoa.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly, add eggs and vanilla essence and stir until well combined. • Add flour mixture and chocolate buttons. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared tray and bake for 50-60 minutes, until brown on top and firm to the touch (a skewer inserted will come out slightly sticky). • Gently run a knife around the edge of the tray to loosen brownie from the tray.
- Allow brownie to cool completely in tray before turning out onto a cooling rack. Remove teflon sheet or baking paper.
- Trim the edges using a bread knife. Cut brownie into pieces using a 4.5 cm cookie cutter (we use an assortment of cookie cutter shapes).
- Place brownies into an airtight container (with scale paper or greaseproof in between each layer) at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to indulge, allow brownie to come to room temperature if it has been frozen, and dust with icing sugar.
Note:*2 Our roasting tray is 36 cm x 34 cm.