COTTLE CHRISTMAS FUDGE
(makes 56 2.5cm squares)
Follow the recipe precisely, and use the best quality chocolate you can, to achieve really silky melt-in-the-mouth fudge. Thanks to my old friend Sandra Cottle for this recipe.
100g butter (roughly chopped)
26g (2 tbsp) golden syrup
395g (1 tin) sweetened condensed milk
200g (1 cup) brown sugar
80g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate buttons
80g (1/2 cup) white chocolate buttons
160g (1 cup) dark chocolate buttons (for icing)
- Line base of a 20cm square tin (or 28cm x 14cm plastic container) with a teflon sheet or baking paper cut to measure.
- Place butter in a medium-sized saucepan over a medium heat and stir until only just melted.
- Add golden syrup, condensed milk and sugar. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes, till sugar is dissolved. It is very important not to rush this stage. The mixture should now be smooth and glossy looking.
- Simmer mixture over a very gentle heat for 14-16 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes. I like to place a simmer mat under the saucepan to ensure a very gentle heat. Maintain a vigil, as without stirring the texture will quickly change from smooth to gritty.
- Remove saucepan from heat. The mixture should still look smooth and glossy.
- Add first measure of dark chocolate and then white chocolate. Stir well till chocolate has melted.
- Pour fudge mixture into prepared tin. Using your hand, push it down very firmly so it is spread into the corners. Place in fridge, chill till set, then go to the next step before fudge becomes very cold. If it does become very cold, then bring back to room temperature before proceeding to the next step.
- Place 2nd measure dark chocolate in a bowl and, over a double boiler, melt chocolate. Do not allow water or steam to go into chocolate.
- Pour chocolate over top of fudge. Shake tin to spread chocolate without touching chocolate. Allow to just set (about 30 minutes). • Remove fudge from tin and, if you enjoy precision, mark cutting lines with a ruler and cut fudge into 2.5cm squares. Wipe knife as you go, but don't wet or heat knife in between cuts.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator till required. Best eaten at room temperature within seven day.