CORN HERB AND ROASTED RED PEPPER FRITTERS
(makes 10 fritters)
This recipe is well suited to cooking on the flat plate of the barbecue. If you wish to prepare the fritter mixture ahead leave out the baking powder and pepper and add it just as you are about to cook. If you wish serve with crispy bacon, fried eggs, little sausages or barbecued prawns.
70g (1/2 cup) flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
65ml (1/4 cup) milk
410g corn (frozen whole kernel, drained canned whole kernel, or fresh kernels stripped off the cob and blanched)
2 spring onions (white part and first section of green part chopped)
1 roasted red pepper (skinned and diced)
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley leaves
2-3 drops Tabasco
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil
80g (5 tbsp plus 1 tsp) sour cream
80g (10 tsp) Tomato Chilli Jam (buy from a speciality food store or make your own. See Tomato Chilli Jam for recipe)
handful coriander leaves for garnish
- Into a medium bowl sieve flour and baking powder and then add eggs and milk. Whisk till batter is smooth.
- Add corn, spring onions, red pepper, coriander, parsley, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour half the oil into a large, heavy based frypan and over a medium heat, heat pan until hot.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop up fritter mix to fill the measure, drop into hot pan and spread to make an 8cm diameter fritter. Continue till pan is full. Cook each fritter for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown. Turn fritters over and cook on second side till golden brown and cooked through. Drain onto a tray lined with paper towels.
- Add remainder of oil to frypan and continue to cook remainder of fritter mixture.
- Serve hot with sour cream, Tomato Chilli Jam and a sprinkle of coriander leaves.