Coconut Cup Cakes with Raspberry Frosting
Coconut and raspberry are a delectable combination. Cup cake frosting is by nature sweet so we also add a natural flavouring such as raspberry sauce, lemon juice, cinnamon, dark rum or vanilla extract to enhance the flavour.
230g unsalted butter ( cubed and softened)
210g (1 cup) castor sugar
4 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
30ml (2 tbsp) coconut milk
280g (2 cups) self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
40g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
21 silver or gold cachous (edible decorative balls)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place butter into bowl of electric mixer. Add sugar and, using ‘K’ beater, beat till light and fluffy.
- Slowly add eggs, mixing well between additions.
- Add vanilla extract, coconut milk, flour, baking powder and coconut and mix till combined and smooth.
- Place cup cake cases into large muffin tin trays. Spoon mixture evenly into cases, about three-quarters full.
- Place into preheated oven and cook for 15-18 minutes till just browning on top and the centre, when gently prodded, springs back.
- Cool on cake rack.
- Place pink frosting into piping bag fitted with a small fluted nozzle. Pipe frosting onto each cup cake leaving a 1cm rim around the edge of each cake and forming a peak in the centre. Garnish with a silver or gold cachous.