CHRISTMAS DAY CRAYFISH WITH MINTED POTATOES AND SALADS
On Christmas Day it is essential to have small freshly dug potatoes. These are perfection with simply prepared crayfish. I might serve green beans as well as two or three salads. This is a meal so delicious the thought of it carries me through those December days and nights where meals become spasmodic.
8 (400-600g) small live crayfish
- Drown crayfish in cold water and then plunge into a very large pot of boiling, lightly salted water.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes (allow 12 minutes per kg weight or until crayfish has turned a deep red colour).
- Immediately drain crayfish into the kitchen sink being careful not to break legs or feelers. Arrange on a large decorative platter and serve immediately. Alternatively spread out on a big baking tray so they cool quickly and refrigerate until required.
- Serve outside with big napkins, lemons, sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, butter and a pepper mill. Allow guests to deal to their own crayfish.
- Provide a decorative receptacle for guests to deposit crayfish heads and legs into. Keep crayfish heads and legs to make crayfish stock.