(makes 48 biscuits)
A flavoursome nutty cookie which in Houston is always made with pecans as opposed to walnuts.
300g (1 + 1/2 cups) sugar
50g (1/2 cup) cocoa
125ml (1/2 cup) evaporated milk
85g (1/3 cup) butter (roughly chopped)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 + 1/2 cups rolled oats (place in a food processor and process till they are like coarse breadcrumbs)
55g (1/2 cup) walnuts (chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line baking trays with baking paper or teflon sheets.
- Place sugar, cocoa, evaporated milk and butter in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture begins to bubble around the sides. Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and stir till smooth. Stir in oats, walnuts and vanilla extract.
- Place teaspoonfuls onto prepared trays about 5cm apart.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or till lightly browned.
- Leave for 2 minutes or till set before removing from tray to cool.