Chocolate Mud Pastries
I am giving you a recipe for 24 because I recommend you freeze one tray (uncooked) for your next brunch party. Bake straight from freezer at the temperature in the recipe.
250g puff pastry
150g dark chocolate
60g (6 tbsp) unsalted butter
155g (¾ cup plus 4½ tbsp) castor sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
14g (2 tbsp) flour (sifted)
· Prepare muffin tins. We use baking spray.
· Roll out pastry on a floured bench into a 27cm square.
· Cut pastry into twenty four 7.5cm squares.
· Press each pastry square into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Continue until all squares have been pressed into muffin tins.
· Preheat oven to 200ºC.
· Rest pastry for 20 - 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
· Meanwhile, put chocolate and butter into a pot set over another pot of simmering water. Gently melt chocolate and butter and then stir sugar in. (The chocolate mixture should only be warm).
· Whisk eggs and vanilla together and add to chocolate mixture. Stir in flour.
· Spoon 1 tbsp chocolate mixture into the centre of each pastry cup.
· Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove mud pastries from muffin pans on to a cooking rack.
· Dust with icing sugar to serve.