CARAMELISED WALNUT AND APPLE TART
(makes one 23cm tart)
Use a variety of apple such as Braeburn which will hold its shape during cooking.
550g (3) apples (peeled and very thinly sliced, we use a mandoline) and lightly dressed with juice of 1 lemon
- Lightly grease with melted butter or baking spray a 23cm fluted, loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Roll pastry on a lightly floured bench into a round, 3mm in thickness, and approximately 30cm in diameter.
- Line prepared tart tin with the pastry, gently pushing pastry into the base and side. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to rest pastry.
- Remove pastry-lined tart tin from refrigerator and cover pastry with aluminium foil or baking paper. Fill aluminium foil with raw rice or dried beans.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place pastry-lined tart tin into oven for 7-9 minutes till sides are three-quarters cooked. Remove aluminium foil and return case to oven for 4-5 minutes till pastry base is half-cooked.
- Remove tart tin from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175°C.
- Lightly brush pastry base with egg white. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- Pour in Caramelised Walnut and Apple Tart Filling to three-quarters fill pastry shell. You should have a little mixture left over.
- Lay out apple slices in concentric circles to completely cover top of filling. Brush apples liberally with remaining filling. Place tart into preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes till tart is set but still wobbly in the centre.
- Remove tart from oven and decorate top with Caramelised Walnuts.
- Return tart to oven for a further 8-10 minutes till walnuts are golden brown and tart is fully set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.