CARAMELISED ONION TARTS
(makes 10 x 7cm tarts)
This recipe forms a part of the Peppered Farm-Raised Venison with Beetroot Jus, Caramelised Onion Tart and Parsnip and Carrot Mash recipe.
150g-200g puff pastry
1/2 recipe Caramelised Onions
egg wash (1 egg lightly whisked with 1 tbsp cold water)
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Roll pastry to a rectangle with 3mm-4mm thickness.
- Using a 7cm straight-sided cookie cutter, cut out 10 pastry rounds. (If you don't have a cookie cutter a glass of similar dimension will suffice.)
- Using a 5cm straight-sided cookie cutter make a firm indent neatly in the centre of each 7cm round.
- Transfer pastry discs to a flat baking tray and rest in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and fill inner circle with a tablespoon of caramelised onion. At this stage tarts can be refrigerated overnight or frozen. Brush egg wash lightly on the pastry rim around the onion. Try not to drip egg down the sides of the pastry discs, as this will prevent even rising of the pastry.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or till golden brown and well puffed up.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.