Caramelised Chilli Almonds
Chef Michael Lee-Richards first gave me the recipe for these sweet and spicy, very addictive nuts. Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to two weeks.
1 + 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
1 + 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp hot chilli flakes (buy as flakes or finely chop 2-3 small dried chillies)
1 small fresh chilli (finely chopped)
10g (1 tbsp) sugar
45ml (3 tbsp) peanut oil
360g (2 + 1/3 cups) blanched almonds
125g (1/2 cup + 2 + 1/2 tbsp) sugar
- Lightly grease a low-sided baking tray with baking spray or oil.
- Place salt, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, fresh chilli and first measure sugar into a bowl and mix together.
- Place oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and heat. Add almonds and sprinkle second measure sugar over almonds.
- Cook almonds for 8-12 minutes, stirring from time to time, till they become golden and sugar has caramelised.
- Remove almonds from pan to bowl with spices and stir together quickly to ensure spices are spread evenly over almonds
- Pour almonds onto prepared tray to cool. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.