CARAMELISED APPLES FOR APPLE SHORTCAKE
My preferred apple variety for this recipe is Braeburn as slices hold their shape when cooked.
800g (6) apples (peeled, cored and quartered)
30g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
100g(1/2 cup) sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Cut each apple quarter into 2 or 3 wedges. Place butter into a heavy-based fry pan set over a medium heat and melt butter.
- Add apples and toss well to coat apples in butter. Cook apples, tossing them in butter as they cook, for 2 or 3 minutes, or till they begin to exude juices.
- Sprinkle apples with sugar and stir till sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to cook apples over a medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, or till apples are caramelised to a golden-brown colour, and fork-tender. Remove apples from frypan to a shallow bowl so they cool quickly.
- When cool add lemon zest and stir to combine.