CARAMELISED APPLES FOR APPLE SHORTCAKE
My preferred apple variety for this recipe is Braeburn as slices hold their shape when cooked.
This recipe forms a part of the Apple Shortcake recipe.
800g (6) apples (peeled, cored and quartered)
30g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
100g(1/2 cup) sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Cut each apple quarter into 2 or 3 wedges. Place butter into a heavy-based fry pan set over a medium heat and melt butter.
- Add apples and toss well to coat apples in butter. Cook apples, tossing them in butter as they cook, for 2 or 3 minutes, or till they begin to exude juices.
- Sprinkle apples with sugar and stir till sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to cook apples over a medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, or till apples are caramelised to a golden-brown colour, and fork-tender. Remove apples from frypan to a shallow bowl so they cool quickly.
- When cool add lemon zest and stir to combine.