BRANDY SNAP CIGARS
Freeze any remaining to serve as an accompaniment to many fruit, mousse or frozen desserts. They are really nice to eat but also enhance the presentation of a simple dessert. This recipe is great with Barbecued Apricots.
65g (5 tbsp) golden syrup
50g (1/4 cup plus 1 tsp) castor sugar
55g (1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp) flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tbsp brandy
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Into a small pot set over a low heat place butter and melt. Remove pot from heat, add golden syrup and sugar. Whisk (by hand) to combine. Sift flour and ginger into butter mixture. Mix well and add brandy.
- Grease a baking tray with baking spray or melted butter. Place teaspoonfuls of mixture onto tray in a finger-shape (do not attempt to bake more than six on one tray).
- Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or till golden brown. Because you need to roll the cigars shortly after they are removed from the oven bake just one tray at a time so the rolling is staggered.
- Remove tray from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute or till the biscuits are cool enough to roll.
- With longer side facing you, roll tightly into a cigar shape. Cool on a cake rack.
- To make alternative shapes: Lie each biscuit over a rolling pin and allow to cool completely to make a tuile. If you would like a basket shape drape the warm biscuit over an upside-down bowl and for a horn shape wrap the warm biscuit around a cream horn mould.