BLACK FOREST CAKE
Prepare this recipe for a glamorous dessert or a fun-filled afternoon tea.
Leftovers in the fridge can still be enjoyed the following day.
1 x 23cm Serena's Cheating Chocolate Cake
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) water
85ml (1/3 cup Kirsch)
500ml (2 cups) cream
Black Forest Cherry Compote
1 cup finely grated dark (70%) chocolate
- Cut cake horizontally into four even-sized layers. Retain bottom layer for the top of the layer cake.
- To make Kirsch Syrup: Place sugar and water into a small pot. Place over gentle heat and stir till sugar is dissolved. Add Kirsch and stir. Cool and measure off one-third. Retain both portions.
- Place one layer of cake onto the base of a large flat cake plate or, better still a cake stand, to form the base of the layer cake.
- Taking from the larger amount, lightly brush Kirsch Syrup on all layers except the top layer. There will be Kirsch Syrup left over for another use.
- Place cream into a bowl, drizzle in the smaller measurement of Kirsch Syrup and whisk till firm peaks are formed and syrup is amalgamated. Divide cream in half and retain one-half for the top and sides of cake.
- Divide first half of cream into three equal portions and place one portion on the bottom layer of the cake. Top with one quarter of the Black Forest Cherry Compote.
- Place second layer of cake on top of compote and repeat layers of cream and compote. Repeat the layering process again to finish with the final cake layer.
- Evenly spread top and sides of cake with remaining cream.
- Cover sides and sprinkle inside edge of cake, that is a 1.5cm rim around the cake, with grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours before serving.
- Accompany with remaining Black Forest Cherry Compote.