Beetroot and Quinoa Salad
Sometimes I like to mould this salad into a pudding shaped bowl and un- mould to serve as an upturned pudding shape. Quinoa is available at health food shops, speciality food shops or many supermarkets.INGREDIENTS
350g (2 medium size) beetroot (washed and stems trimmed)
65ml (1/4 cup) water
120g (3/4 cup) quinoa
375ml (1 ½ cups) water
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp (18) allspice berries
30ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
65ml (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup mint leaves (thinly sliced or torn)
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
· Preheat oven to 180°C.
· Place beetroot into a large piece of aluminium foil add water and enclose tightly.
· Place onto a roasting tray and into preheated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until beetroot are tender when pierced with a skewer. Do not unwrap to pierce it. Time will vary depending on size and age of beetroot.
· Remove from foil and cool. Remove skin by rubbing beetroot with your hands or the back of a small paring knife. You may wish to wear kitchen gloves.
· Grate beetroot on large hole side of grater.
· Place quinoa into a pot and add water. Stir and cover. Place over a medium heat and cook for 10-12 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Turn heat off and leave with lid on for 3-4 minutes. Tip quinoa into a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
· Place cumin and allspice into a small pan and place over a medium-low heat. Toast seeds until fragrant. Remove from heat, tip into a mortar and using the pestle, pound until finely crushed.
· Add spices, oil, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper to quinoa. Stir to combine.
· Add beetroot and stir until quinoa takes on beetroot colour.
· Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.