BARBECUED FLATBREADS WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
Well-known Wellingtonian Alick Shaw, ex chef and former deputy mayor, gave me this recipe. I loved these breads when he barbecued them at a party and he very kindly gave me the recipe. This is our version of Alick's recipe and ring the changes with alternative pesto.
This recipe forms part of the Barbecued Steak Sandwiches with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto recipe.
250ml (1 cup) warm water
1 + 1/2 tsp Fermipan yeast (this fast-acting yeast powder is available at many supermarkets)
1/2 tsp honey
280g (2 cups) high grade flour
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp toasted and ground cumin seeds
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- In a jug place water, yeast and honey and mix together with a fork.
- Place flour, salt, cumin and pepper into bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse to combine. Add yeast mixture and pulse till dough just begins to form a ball.
- Tip dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead till dough is a smooth, well-worked ball.
- Break into 10 portions and roll into 10 smooth round balls.
- Lightly grease a low-sided baking tray with oil or baking spray and place dough balls onto tray. Cover lightly with a greased piece of plastic wrap and leave balls to rise for 30-40 minutes or till balls are double in volume. (Alternatively, dough balls can be placed in refrigerator overnight. Bring out of refrigerator two hours before required to allow them to come to room temperature and then leave to rise till double the volume they were the previous day.)
- Preheat barbecue flat plate to medium-hot. Smear barbecue with oil and rub off residue with a paper towel.
- Pat out each ball to a 10cm round. Place half-teaspoon of Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto onto one-half of each round, fold over second half and pinch to join two halves.
- Place onto preheated barbecue plate and barbecue for 2-3 minutes on each side or till pale golden brown.
- Remove from barbecue and serve warm.