Ms Vy's Barbecue Chicken and Lime Leaf
We receive the most response for recipes for chicken, chocolate and
cake. When I tasted this dish I knew I had to share the recipe with you.
800g boneless chicken thighs (skin off and each thigh cut into 16 pieces)
1 tsp sea salt
10g (1 tbsp) sugar
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp five spice
1/2 cup fresh turmeric or 1 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp garlic (pounded using a mortar and pestle)
2 tbsp shallots (pounded using a mortar and pestle)
1/2 cup lemongrass (pounded using a mortar and pestle)
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
4 Tahitian lime leaves (finely sliced)
1 tsp sesame oil
15ml (1 tbsp) fish sauce
8 wooden skewers (soaked in water 1 hour)
extra Tahitian lime leaves (optional)
· Place chicken pieces into a large bowl. Add salt, sugar, pepper and five spice and mix well.
· Add turmeric, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, chilli, lime leaves, sesame oil and fish sauce. Mix well and leave to marinate for 30 minutes in refrigerator. (You may want to wear plastic gloves to stop your hands turning yellow if using fresh turmeric.)
· Thread 2 pieces chicken onto each skewer making sure point of skewer is covered by chicken.
· To serve: Preheat grill to low heat. Grill skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side or till chicken is cooked through.
* For more flavour young lime leaves may be threaded onto skewers.