BALSAMIC CHICKEN, ROASTED PUMPKIN WITH HONEY AND CARAMELISED GARLIC
A delightful wintery chicken dish which I like to serve with broccoli or broccolini.
1.250g (6) whole chicken legs (preferably corn- fed)
65ml (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar (doesn't have to be a premium version)
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
40ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) olive oil
- Trim excess fat from chicken legs and fold thigh end of each leg back to make a neat parcel.
- To make marinade: Pour balsamic vinegar into a medium-size bowl and add garlic, olive oil and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken to marinade and gently massage marinade into each chicken leg.
- Refrigerate chicken and marinate for a minimum of 20 minutes or maximum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a roasting tray with oil.
- Preheat an oven top grill plate or heavy-based frypan to medium hot.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place onto grill plate or into frypan. Discard marinade. Sear chicken on each side for two to three minutes or till lightly golden brown. You may need to do this in batches.
- Place chicken into prepared tray and into preheated oven. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or till chicken is a dark golden brown and chicken juices run clear when pierced with a metal skewer.
- Cover tray with aluminium foil and rest chicken at room temperature for up to 10 minutes.
- To serve: sprinkle each chicken portion with salt, accompany with Roasted Pumpkin with Honey, a small dollop of Caramelised Garlic and Balsamic Jus.