Baked New York Style Cheesecake Slice
(makes 40 x 3.5 cm squares)
I love Baked New York Style Cheesecake made in a deep round tin for dessert but these days small bites of a rich dessert are very much appreciated so we developed this slice. Sorry to say but this will not be successful made with low fat or spreadable cream cheese. Originally the recipe must have come from New York but my starting point was, many years ago, from an Alison Holst cookbook.
250g (1 packet) Digestive biscuits (roughly broken)
100g (10 tbsp) butter (melted)
500g (2 cups + 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp) cream cheese (cut into chunks)
270g ( 1 + 1/3 cups + 1 tsp) sugar
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
· Preheat oven to 180°C.
· Grease a 33cm x 23cm x 2.5cm bun tray with butter or baking spray and line base with baking paper.
· Place biscuits into a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process till they are crumbs. (Alternatively place in plastic bag and smash with a meat mallet or roll with a rolling pin.)
· Pour butter onto crumbs and combine.
· Tip biscuit crumbs into prepared baking pan and press down firmly to evenly cover base of pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or till base has set.
· Into a clean food processor bowl fitted with a metal blade place cream cheese and sugar and process till smooth.
· Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla and process till combined and smooth.
· Pour cream cheese mixture onto biscuit crumb base and smooth the surface.
· Place into preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or till cheesecake is still a little wobbly but is set.
· Remove from oven and, using your fingers, gently press down edges that have risen higher than the centre. (This improves appearance and yield.)
· Allow slice to cool at room temperature then refrigerate till required.
· Trim sides off slab and slice into 40x 3.5 cm squares.
· Pipe each slice decoratively with Lemon Frosting and garnish with heartsease.
Ring the changes in this recipe by substituting orange or raspberry juice for lemon juice, add brandy instead of lemon but a smaller measure, or simply add ground cinnamon and vanilla extract.
400g (2 + 1/2 cups + 3 tbsp) icing sugar (sifted twice)
80g (8 tbsp) unsalted butter (diced and softened)
60ml (4 tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
40ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) warmed milk
1 + 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
· Place icing sugar and butter into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a "K” beater and beat till combined. Add lemon juice, milk and zest and beat till smooth and creamy.