Baked Apples with Blackcurrants
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
60g (6 tbsp) unsalted butter (softened)
1kg-1.2kg (8 even-sized) apples (cored with an apple corer and left whole)
42g (8 tsp) brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
120g de-stalked blackcurrants (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1 vanilla bean (sliced in half lengthwise)
1 cinnamon quill
185ml (3/4 cup) methodé champenoise rosé
30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
vanilla bean ice cream and/or whipped cream
- To make lemon sugar: In a small bowl place first measure of sugar and lemon zest and mix together. Leave for 1-2 hours, or for up to 2-3 weeks, in an airtight jar for flavours to infuse.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Using 2 tablespoons of the butter generously grease base of a large ceramic baking dish and sprinkle with half of the lemon sugar. Trim bases of apples to enable them to sit evenly in the baking dish, and place apples on top of the lemon sugar.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest. Evenly fill the centre of each apple with this mixture.
- Sprinkle blackcurrants over and around apples, pushing a few into the centre of each apple.
- Spread remaining butter over the top of each apple and sprinkle apples with remaining lemon sugar.
- To the baking dish add vanilla bean, cinnamon quill, methodé champenoise and lemon juice.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or till apples are soft when pierced with a metal skewer.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with the syrup and any spilled blackcurrants poured over the top.
- If you wish accompany with vanilla ice cream and or/whipped cream.