This is an excellent last minute dessert. Keep the filo pastry in freezer until you need it.
1.7kg (10) Braeburn apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
55g (1/4 cup) castor sugar
zest of 1 lemon
15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
50g (5 tbsp) butter (melted)
35g (1/2 cup) fine breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
zest of one lemon and one orange
8 sheets filo pastry
100g butter (melted)
8g (1 tbsp) icing sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
zest of 1 orange (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Place apples into a 30cm x 24cm ceramic baking dish and sprinkle with castor sugar and lemon zest. Drizzle with lemon juice and first measure of butter.
- Place baking dish uncovered into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the apple is just cooked. The apple needs to have a little crunch left in it.
- In a small bowl combine breadcrumbs, 1st measure of cinnamon and zests.
- On a board place one layer of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Cover with a 2nd sheet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of breadcrumb mixture. Continue this process until all 8 filo pastry sheets are used. Any left over breadcrumb mixture can be sprinkled over the apples.
- With a big sharp knife cut filo pastry stack into 4 quarters. Each quarter will be bigger than a quarter of the baking dish. Lightly scrunch one of the quarters so that it covers 1 quarter of the apples in the dish. Continue with the remaining 3 quarters.
- Brush top with melted butter and bake in oven 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven. Combine icing sugar and 2nd measure of cinnamon and just prior to serving sieve over the top of the filo and sprinkle with large strands of orange zest.
- Serve with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and or whipped cream.