APPLE AND BLACKBERRY CAKE WITH LEMON DRIZZLE
(makes 1 x 25cm round cake)
This flavoursome recipe began as a cupcake recipe and we have grown it to one big cake. As one generous cake it is further enhanced with Lemon Drizzle.
490g (3) Braeburn apples (peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks)
420g (3 cups) high grade flour
15g (3 tsp) baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
185g unsalted butter (cubed and at room temperature)
280g (1 + 1/2 cups) castor sugar
finely gated zest of 1 + 1/2 lemons
1/4 tsp vanilla paste (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
345g (1 + 1/2 cups) sour cream (stirred to soften slightly)
380g frozen blackberries
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Lightly grease with baking spray or melted butter base and sides of a 25cm round cake tin and then line base and sides with baking paper.
- Place apple into a small pot and add cold water to just cover apples. Place on a medium heat and cook till apples are soft but still retain their shape. Cool and strain through a sieve. Discard liquids and retain apple for cake.
- Place butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla paste (or extract) into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat for 5 minutes or till pale yellow and creamy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl.
- With mixer operating, gradually pour in eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and half of the sour cream to butter mixture. Fold mixture gently to combine. Fold in remaining dry ingredients, followed by sour cream and then stewed apple.
- Place half the cake mix into prepared cake tin and, using a spatula, spread out evenly. Sprinkle the blackberries on top. Cover blackberries with remaining cake mix and spread evenly.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 + 1/2 hours or till skewer when inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool, remove from tin and cover with Lemon Drizzle allowing it to fall down the sides.