ALMOND MADEIRA CAKE
(makes 1 x 20cm cake)
Serve in the afternoon with tea or for dessert with poached or macerated tamarillos and whipped cream.
125g butter (cubed and softened)
157.5g (3/4 cup) castor sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
45ml (3 tbsp) milk
65g (1/4 cup) natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp almond extract (be very judicious with the measurement and measure away from the bowl)
185g (1 + 1/3 cups) self-raising flour (sifted)
90g (3/4 cup) ground almonds
75g (1/2 cup) slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin with baking spray or melted butter and line base and sides with a double layer of baking paper.
- Into the bowl of an electric mixer, or mixing bowl, place butter and sugar and whisk till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well between additions.
- Add milk, yoghurt and almond extract and mix well.
- Add flour and ground almonds and, using a wooden spoon, mix to combine.
- Spoon into prepared tin, sprinkle with slivered almonds and gently push them into top of cake.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or till skewer when inserted comes out clean, or when centre of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove cake from oven. Place on a cake rack and remove cake from tin when cool.
- Serve immediately if you wish, or store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.