(makes 400ml - 500ml)
This is a handy sauce to have in the fridge or freezer as it can become the base for a variety of pasta or meat dishes.
30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
1/2 onion (peeled and diced)
3 large cloves garlic (peeled and crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
400g tinned Italian tomatoes (in their juice)
30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
1 tbsp chicken stock powder
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
- Into a saucepan pour oil and place over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and oregano and cook until onion and garlic is soft but not coloured.
- Using scissors cut tomatoes, while they are in the tin, into rough pieces.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste and chicken stock to onion mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stir frequently and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by around one third.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Store in fridge for up to three days, or freeze until required.
Recipes associated with this recipe: Provencal Vegetables