Venison Racks with Lemon and Peppercorn Paste and Olive Oil Enriched Jus
5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 ½ tsp pink peppercorns (in brine, rinsed)
1 ½ tsp green peppercorns (in brine, rinsed)
1 ½ tsp muscovado sugar
1 tbsp finely chopped dill
4 x 8 cutlet venison racks
oil to grease tray
Olive Oil Enriched Jus
· In a mortar place lemon zest, pink and green peppercorns and sugar. Using a pestle pound to a paste. Stir in dill.
· Using a palette knife, or your hand, rub 1¾ teaspoons paste all over each venison rack. Marinate venison in refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
· Preheat oven to 200°C.
· Place venison on a lightly oiled roasting dish and place in to pre heated oven for 35-45 minutes or till medium rare.
· Remove from oven and rest at room temperature for 10 minutes covered with a clean, heavy tea towel.
· Cut venison racks into individual cutlets.
· To serve: Place a caramelised onion slightly off centre on a 310mm plate. Lean a venison cutlet up against the onion.
· Place a quarter cup measure of Beetroot and Tarragon beside the cutlet and 5 Beans with barberries above the beetroot.
· On the opposite side of the cutlet place a 4cm x 4cm kumara cake and pour 45ml Olive oil enriched Jus over the venison and onion.