CELERIAC SALAD WITH APPLE RINGS
If you prefer to eat this as a vegetarian salad substitute the bacon with toasted and chopped walnuts. Serve this salad with one or two other salads or vegetables, or as accompaniment to steak or roasted chicken.
740g (2) celeriac (peeled and cut into julienne i.e. matchstick)
550g (4) Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored)
185ml (3/4 cup) Mustard Mayonnaise
185g (8) sliced middle bacon (finely diced)
3 spring onions (finely sliced)
- Place celeriac into a medium-size bowl, drizzle with juice of one lemon and toss so that celeriac is coated in lemon.
- To blanch celeriac: Bring a medium-size pot, three-quarters filled with lightly salted water to the boil, and place celeriac in pot for 3-4 minutes, just until it begins to soften. Drain celeriac and rinse under cold water so that it cools quickly. Dry with a tea towel or paper towel.
- Dice two apples, drizzle with juice of 1 lemon and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Finely slice remaining two apples into rings 2mm in thickness and place on lightly oiled tray.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly coloured.
- Heat a heavy-based fry pan till hot and place bacon in pan for 4-5 minutes till it begins to brown and release fat. Transfer to a small roasting tray and bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes till browned and crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain.
- Combine celeriac and apple with Mustard Mayonnaise.
- Place celeriac/apple mixture onto a large platter or in a salad bowl, sprinkle with bacon and spring onions and accompany with apple rings. Associated Recipes: Mustard Mayonnaise