Chocolate Mousse Tea Cakes
(makes 15 tea cakes)
Surprise for gluten-free readers, gluten-free cakes which do not contain nuts. A chocolate lover’s dream tea cake.
200g dark (70%) chocolate tablet (chopped)
125g unsalted butter (chopped)
7 eggs (separated)
160g (3/4 cup) castor sugar (1st measure)
50g (1/4 cup less 1 tsp) castor sugar (2nd measure)
strawberries for garnish
· Preheat oven to 165°C.
· Lightly grease with baking spray or a flavourless oil such as Canola, two 12-form muffin trays. Cut baking paper into 15 rounds 5.3cm diameter. Line bases of 15 prepared muffin forms with baking paper rounds
· Place chocolate and butter into a bowl which fits snugly over a pot of simmering water set over a low heat. Stir until chocolate and butter are just melted and only warm. Remove bowl from pot if mixture begins to go beyond warm and stir until melted.
· Place egg yolks into bowl with first measure of sugar. Whisk until mixture becomes pale. Keep whisking and slowly pour in chocolate and butter mixture. Whisk until mixture is thick and creamy.
· Into a very clean bowl place egg whites and salt and whisk until they become frothy. Keep whisking and slowly pour in second measure sugar. Whisk until soft peaks form.
· Using a metal spoon gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
· Place three-quarters mixture into one bowl and one-quarter mixture into another bowl. Divide the three-quarter quantity into 15 paper-lined muffin forms to three-quarters of the way up the sides (approximately 75ml per form).
· Place muffin forms into preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until cakes spring back when you prod them. They should still be moist and slightly wobbly.
· Remove cakes from oven and place on cooling rack. The centre of each cake will drop.
· Cool cakes and remove from forms. Fill each cake with 20ml (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) of the one quarter (still raw) mixture. Refrigerate until set, or cover and store in refrigerator for up to two days.
· To serve if you wish garnish with strawberries.
Photo Credit: Kevin Stent