Black Bottom Pie
(makes one 25cm Pie)
375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
4 egg yolks
12g (4 tsp) conflour
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
30ml (2 tbsp) dark rum
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla85g dark chocolate buttons
6g (2 tsp) gelatine
45ml (3 tbsp) cold water
2 egg whites
10g (1 tbsp) sugar
one 25cm sweet short pastry shell (baked blind)
chocolate curls for garnish
- Pour milk and cream into a medium-sized heavy saucepan and bring to the boil.
- While milk and cream are heating whisk egg yolks and cornflour together for 1-2 minutes, then add sugar and continue beating until the mixture is pale yellow and holds the mark of the whisk.
- Slowly pour milk and cream onto egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add the rum and vanilla and return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring custard almost to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring until the custard thickens (this will take approx. 5 minutes).
- Mix 1 ½ cups of custard with chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
- Pour chocolate custard into pastry shell. Refrigerate while making the rest of the filling.
- In a small bowl, soften the gelatine in the cold water for approx. 5 minutes. Gently heat softened gelatine until it dissolves and becomes clear (we do this in a microwave on medium for 25 seconds).
- Mix dissolved gelatine into remaining custard and chill until almost set.
- Whisk egg whites and slowly pour in the sugar. Whisk until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold egg whites into the custard and spread custard evenly over chocolate custard in the shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until form. Garnish with chocolate curls.