CUMIN SCENTED CHICKEN BREAST
(serves 6 as a main course)
Served with Lemon Orzo Salad and Broccolini
6 (1 kg) chicken thighs (skin on, bone out)
1 recipe Verjuice Marinade
3 tbsp (15g) cumin seeds
2 tbsp (10g) coriander seeds
2 1/2 tsp Maldon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
12 broccolini spears (trimmed)
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
30ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
1 recipe Lemon Orzo Salad
- Trim chicken thighs of any excess fat. Place chicken into a non-reactive bowl and coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for as little as 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine seeds and crush using a mortar and pestle until coriander seeds are broken. Toss seeds with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and sprinkle a heavy coating of seed mixture over skin side of chicken. Press seeds into chicken so they adhere.
- Preheat a dry heavy-based (ovenproof) frying pan over a medium heat. Add chicken (skin-side facing down) and sear for approximately 5 minutes until the spices are brown and crispy.
- Turn chicken over and transfer frying pan to oven. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from heat, cover with aluminium foil and rest chicken for 5 minutes (this allows the juices to disperse evenly and makes the chicken very moist).
- While chicken is resting cook broccolini in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and tender. Drain, then season with salt and pepper. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over broccolini.
- Place a spoonful of Lemon Orzo Salad in the centre of each warmed plate. Lay two pieces of broccolini on top of the orzo followed by a chicken thigh. Drizzle with juices created in the base of the frying pan.